An Ambitious Ambition!!

'What you want to be in your near future?'
This was the question asked by many of my teachers in school days. I didn't actually have any. Some questioned me why? I still hear them ask me, "You do not have an ambition. Why? Everyone in the class has ambition except you." I used to get my hands on the forehead and scratch for something and would say one thing to a teacher and different one to another. They (parents and teachers) made me dream and taught me to dream about great things that we can do and become when I become a man yet another fantasy into my innocent head. 

I wasn't a good student and I still remember those bad moments doing some detention works and receiving corporal punishments. However, those moments taught me what is good and what is not. And as I continued my education, I just learnt that I can really become one like what my elders (teachers, parents and others good people who inspired me to study)  told me.   

Recently I thought about it and it happened that I have to become a teacher somewhere. Teacher is what seems much a better or best job as an opportunity to interact with many people having varying personalities and capabilities, especially that I will be able add a bit of some goodness in their way to perfection. It must be a tiresome job ( according to some friends and what I see) yet with fun and many different learning opportunities.  

Following are the qualities of a good teacher I thought of and my friends told about ( yet I wonder if I can be one with all of them-I believe I can have some though not all )  :
  • He must be master of his subject matter and exhibit expertise in the subjects that he is teaching. He should present material in an enthusiastic manner and instil a hunger in their students to learn more on their own. ( I may not be a master but I will teach best with what I have in me and consult my seniors and deliver the expected matter.)
  • He has clear, written-out objectives to give students a clear idea of what they will be learning, what the assignments are and what the grading policy is. Assignments have learning goals and give students ample opportunity to practice new skills. The teacher is consistent in grading and returns work in a timely manner and has knowledge of curriculum and standards.
  • He must be prepared and organized with variety of teaching methods. ( I may not be able to bring much variety but I won't bore students with the old notes.)
  • He should be able to develop a strong rapport and strong relationship with the students and must have passion for children/students and teaching.
  • He must have effective discipline skills that can inculcate good or positive behaviours and should be able to maintain the class decorum well and must create a sense of community and belonging in the classroom. ( Many do not like strict persons and I do not wish to be a strict one but I would expect my students to be at least in learning moods.) 
  • He must expect high from students and encourage and motivate them to work at their best levels.
  • He must have respects for the children/students and is warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring.
Studies show the single most important factor determining the quality of the education a child receives is the quality of his teacher yet it is rare to find a single person with all good qualities but we can never quit expecting more. ‘A great teacher is one a student remembers and cherishes forever.’ Teachers have long-lasting impacts on the lives of their students, and the greatest teachers inspire students toward greatness. And one can remember teachers from your kindergarten.  I might not become one but I won't stay idle if I really join in teaching profession. I may fail to comply with all that I mentioned above but I won't intentionally hurt my students. 

It is my great teachers who inspired me to strive towards knowledge and wisdom. So, with my heartfelt gratitude I thank you all for what you made me and for what you did to me. You are remembered and cherished.

Comments